IELTS: Good Advice, Careers in the Future, Which is Better, Museums or Art Galleries?

IELTS Speaking Test Part 1

What is your full name?

My name is Assieh Turani

Can I see your ID?

Yes, here is my ID card.

Where are you from?

I’m from Tehran. I live there with my family.

Do you work or study?

I’m a third year Economics student at the university.

Do you like the place where you live?

Yes, I do. We live in a nice peaceful area … it’s mainly residential and it’s a good place to live.

Do you know your neighbours there?

Yes, we have had the same neighbours for many years. I have known them since I was a small child.

Is this place suitable for children? Why?

I think it is. There are many families who live in the neighbourhood because it’s quiet, safe and children can play in areas where there is no traffic and parents can see them.

Do you like to visit museums or art galleries?

I like museums a lot, but art galleries not so much.

Do you think people should visit museums more? Why?

If you like museums, then they are wonderful places, but if you don’t like looking at things from the past then you will probably think they are boring places.

I don’t think people should do things they are not interested in just because someone else thinks it’s a good idea.

There are many ways to learn about history and other things … museums are just one option.

Do you like shopping?

No, not really. Sometimes, it’s okay, but it depends on what I’m shopping for.

Why do people prefer to buy from street shops?

It’s possibly because it’s traditional or maybe they know the owner of the shop or stall.

Many people shop at the same places they have always shopped for many years… almost like a tradition.

Another reason might be because sometimes things are cheaper on the street than in some of the large supermarket type shops.

Do you like to visit street shops in other countries?

I don’t know … I’ve never travelled to another country, but I imagine it would be interesting to visit some and see what they are like.

Hopefully, when I finish university I will have the opportunity to travel abroad.

Related: Best Tips for IELTS Speaking Test

IELTS Speaking Test Part 2

Talk about some good advice that you received from someone.

You should say:

  • What was the advice?
  • When and where did it you receive it?
  • Who gave you this advice?
and explain what you did about it.


IELTS Sample Answer

I remember when I was considering which course I wanted to follow at university I received two pieces of good advice from two different people.

One of them was my father and the other was one of my teachers at school.

My teacher told me that based on my abilities and academic performance I would probably be good at subjects like economics or maybe mathematics.

My father told me that I should study something I am interested in, no matter what other people think about my choice. I think that both of them gave me good advice.

My teacher observed that I was very good at analyzing things and understanding how different things can influence each other.

I was very interested in economics at school when we studied it because it involves many different aspects of life, business, and social factors.

She (my teacher) said that I would probably find it more satisfying to study something I was really interested in than try and do something that was maybe more popular like something related to oil and gas or medicine which is quite popular for women here.

Finally, I decided to study Economics because I like the subject and because I knew I would be happy doing it.

I’m almost finished my course now and I have really enjoyed it so I think it was a good decision.

Hopefully, I will be able to get a good job, either here or abroad when I graduate.

So I guess you could say I followed the advice from both people who gave me it. I’m happy about my choice, and my father and teacher too.

IELTS Speaking Test Part 3

Do you usually listen to someone’s advice?

It depends on the situation a lot. I mean, if it’s a serious situation and I have to make a big decision then usually I’ll ask people I think can help me for advice. If the advice seems to be good then I would certainly consider it.

Do you prefer to listen to your relatives’ or friends’ advice? Why?

Again, it depends. There are some things my friends might have more experience of and therefore give better advice than my relatives.

Sometimes they both have good advice… so I can’t say I always prefer to listen to one rather than the other.

I usually try and talk to whoever I think can give me the best advice based on the situation.

Who should give young people advice about their future career? Why?

It’s a good idea for young people to listen to a variety of advice from different sources and then make up their own minds about what they want to do.

Teachers and career counselors have more knowledge about careers and the employment opportunities, but parents, relatives and friends also have a different insight which they can offer you… a more personal viewpoint sometimes.

But at the end of the day, everyone should make their own decision because it’s their career - they need to be happy doing what they choose.

How can people get information about careers? Why?

I believe that it’s easier than ever now thanks to the internet. There are many sites and sources of information which explain about many different careers, which careers are most popular and which pay the best money.

You can research the career you’re thinking about just like any other subject.

You can find out about all the options, the employment prospects and typical conditions as well as the long term professional development opportunities which exist.

In the past many young people simply followed in the footsteps of their fathers or other relatives because they weren’t aware of all the opportunities that existed.

Now, you can learn about the basics of any career in just a few minutes thanks to the many career orientated business internet sites which are available.

Related: More IELTS Questions & Answers about Advice