IELTS Speaking Part 2 - Your favorite toy when you were a child

IELTS Speaking Part 2 Question

Describe your favorite toy when you were a child

  • what was the toy?
  • who gave it to you?
  • how did you feel about it?
and explain why you still remember it.


Toys IELTS speaking Part 2

Describe your favorite toy as a child / Describe a toy that you often played with as a child / Talk about a toy you liked when you were young

I had quite a few toys as a child over the years, but one that I remember well is an action figure my parents gave me.

I think I was about 6 or maybe 7 years old, and it became one of my favorite toys for a few years.

I remember it well because of the circumstances. They gave it to me when I was in the hospital to have an operation and had to stay in the hospital for about 4 days.

Anyway, after the first day and the operation, they came to visit me and brought me a present, which was a nice surprise. I unwrapped the present, and it was an action figure – a soldier – which I thought was pretty cool at the time.

I liked it because the hospital was a boring place and having a new toy was fun. It kept me amused playing with it and inventing all kinds of adventures he could be involved in.

I guess it was a kind of therapy. I didn’t feel that well for a couple of days and wasn’t allowed to get out of bed until the last day. So it gave me something to pass the time, apart from reading a book.

At night, when I was in the hospital and couldn’t sleep, I used to imagine places my soldier would go - the jungle, mountains, and faraway places. And I would invent all kinds of adventures and exciting situations. But of course, he would always survive and return from his mission successfully.

Thinking about it now, it’s quite funny how vivid my imagination was back then.

I really liked the toy for a few years, but then I became interested in other things and lost interest in action figures.

But it’s still one of the gifts and one of the toys I had as a child that I remember well, probably because of the circumstances, being in hospital and everything.



Related questions

  • Do you remember any special toys from your childhood?
  • What was your favorite toy when you were a child?
  • Do you still have any of the toys you had as a child?
  • Can you describe your favorite toys when you were a child?
  • What do you remember about your favorite toy when you were a child?
  • Why was your favorite toy so special to you?
  • Do you think toys are as important to children now as they were when you were a child?
  • Do you think the trend for children to have fewer toys is a good thing or a bad thing?
  • Do children in your country still play with the same kinds of toys that you did when you were young?
  • What kind of toys do children in your country like to play with the most?
  • Do you think children who spend more time playing with electronic toys are less creative than those who spend more time playing with traditional toys?
  • What are some of the benefits of playing with toys?
  • Do you think that there are certain types of toys that are bad for children to play with?
  • How have toys changed since you were a child?
  • Do you think that there are certain types of toys that should be banned?