Speaking for IELTS Cue Card - A child you spent time with

Talk about a time you spent with a child you know.
You should say:

  • who the child is
  • how you know him/her
  • why you spent time with him/her
and explain what you did when you were together.


Sample Answer

Just last week I spent some time with a child, in fact, it was my best friend’s son, Peter. He’s seven years old now and we spent some time together when his parents had to go to an appointment.

It was basically a babysitting mission, a favor for my friend, she called me on my phone and asked me to do it. I took my boyfriend with me for some help, and we both looked after Peter for the afternoon.

We went to my friend’s house and spent some time there catching up with each other before they had to leave.

Then we took my friend’s son out to a park nearby where they live. He was really excited about going out.

Apparently he loves going to this park with his parents so we thought it would be a good idea if we took him so that he wouldn’t miss his parents so much while they were away.

Anyway, we spent ages playing on the swings and climbing and just having fun, and he loved playing rough with my boyfriend, they were tumbling and rolling all over the place having a great time. I’m really happy that my boyfriend loves kids like this and is really interested in enjoying time with them.

Watching him play with Peter was just like watching two kids playing together, I think he enjoyed the time in the park as much as little Peter did to be honest, maybe even more.

My boyfriend doesn’t have any nieces or nephews in his family so it was all a bit of a novelty for him.

So after our time at the park we went to get some ice cream at a place close to the park. And after that we took him home to get him cleaned up a bit before his parents returned.

By the time they got back he was ecstatic to see them again and spent ages telling them all about is adventures in the park and how good the ice cream was. He really is a super little boy and I love him very much.

I’m already looking forward to the next time we spend some time with him.


How would you answer this IELTS cue card question?